In 1736, Sir James Sinclair glazed the windows of the chapel for the first time as well as relaying the floor and repairing the roof. However, the chapel was still ruined and was visited in the next 100 years by, amongst others, Robert Burns, Walter Scott, and William Wordsworth, who found the chapel inspirational enough to write the sonnet ‘Composed at Roslin Chapel during a storm’.
After the visit of Queen Victoria in 1842, she let it be known she hoped the chapel could be preserved for the nation. 20 years later the chapel was rededicated and services held for the first time in over 200 years. Subsequent preservation work to the roof may have done more harm than good, causing water to become trapped in the stonework. This moisture had to be removed and the only way was to cover the chapel in a canopy, allowing the stonework to dry out naturally. This has now been achieved, but work is still needed to keep the chapel in the pristine state it appears to be in today.